Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Twilight Fever

In the last eight months, I have seen countless girls (and some boys too) get sucked into Stephanie Meyer's world of sparkling vampires and werewolves. Students who I couldn't get to read for the life of me were suddenly consuming 500 page books in a matter of days.

I like to think of myself as an independent woman, and mass trends turn me off. I love fantasy, but who can do vampires better than Joss Whedon? I was skeptical, to say the least. Despite this, I had to find out what was captivating my students and why there is so much darn facebook flair about Edward Cullen.

The beginning of Twilight is full of character background and description as to why Bella, our heroine, moves from sunny Arizona to the sleepy town of Forks, Washington. although the plot moves slowly, the back story is mesmerizing and you immediately fall in love with Isabella Swan.

Enter Edward Cullen. Pale, handsom and brooding. Once we meet Edward, the plot betings to move more rapidly. I enjoyed learning the rules of the vampire world, especially how vampires sparkle in the sunlight. The climax was rather weak and unbelievable, even for fantasy, but on the whole I thoroughly enjoyed Twilight. (So much so I fangoriously devoured New Moon and Eclipse within a week)

1 comment:

Amy Reads said...

*waves*
Ciao,
Amy :)