Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Willoughbys



"I have learned over the course of many years that it is a bad idea, usually, to investigate piteous weeping but always a fine thing to look into a giggle." The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry 


Lois Lowry is by far my favorite children's author and what makes her special is her versatility. You have the Giver trilogy which is dark and insightful, you have Gossamer which is sweet, Number the Stars which is a great historical fiction and now The Willoughbys which is a hilarious, witty parody on "old fashioned" stories. I usually don't laugh out loud while I read. Usually it's more of an internal chuckle, but not with this book. I was LOLing all over the place. The vocabulary is exquisite. She adds GRE level words (with a glossary at the back) to add to the parody. She also incorporates lots of "old fashioned" stories (and includes a bibliography in the back too.) A very quick read but well worth it.

No comments: